CITROEN TRACTION renovations
Jobs that we can do for you on your cherished Citroen Traction:
- Suspension overhaul
- Top and bottom ball joints split and track rod end. Top wishbone bushes/pin checked for wear and replace as necessary. Ball joints examined closely for damage and then reassembled to give correct clearance with new boots if required. Drive shaft and wheel bearings checked for play and renewed if required. Silentbloc replacement requires front cradle removal and use of a large press, often requiring a force of over 30 tons. Six cradles have a similar system where the cradle needs to be removed before the bushes can be accessed. Lower silentblocs usually only require 5 tons pressure to remove them, the top silentblocs (not bronze on steel like the 11cv) require a delicate threaded pivot shaft to be removed before the wishbone can be removed and the bushes pressed out. Once the car is back on its 'feet' the steering alignment and camber will need to be checked/adjusted.
- Gearbox rebuilds
- On the Legere/Light 15 this is an engine/box removal job, on the Normale/Big 15/15-6 and Big 6 the gearbox can be removed on its own. However it may be advantageous to remove the whole lot and give the timing chain a going over whilst you're there. Clean off gear box, drain oil and check for significant debris. Fully strip out and check components for wear. Replace as necessary. Check gearbox casing/bellhousing and differential bearing caps for cracks. Replace all bearings and synchro's if required.
- Engine rebuilds
- Crank grinding, white metalling, balancing. Engine out clean off and dismantle, check crank journals for wear and grind as appropriate, replace shells or white metal brgs as required. Perfo rods can be re-white metalled as required or replaced with later D type rods (often sourced from H van engines) that are more heavy duty and take easily renewable shell bearings. With white metal bearings it is usual to blue the surfaces, assemble and then carefully scrape to get a perfect fit. Camshafts and their bearing need careful checking, timing chains and sprockets need regular attention and the best quality parts to ensure reliability. Liners and pistons are now easily obtainable but the liner bottom seal in the crankcase needs careful attention if leaks are to be avoided. Block top surfaces can be carefully skimmed if required but the liners have to be skimmed at the same time. The block water passages need careful examination to detect cracks caused by the lack of antifreeze and then freezing in the engine's past. On reassembly the crank end float needs careful setting. Components of the engine can be balanced as required, pistons, gudgeon pins, con rods all can be matched. Then crank on it own, then plus flywheel (skimmed or lightened as required) and then plus clutch cover plate. Oil pumps can be overhauled and bench tested.
- Brake Overhauls
- The drums will be removed (using a heavy duty puller on the front for the four cylinder models), checked for ovality and high spots. Shoes removed (and replaced if required), lower pivots checked, cylinders removed and checked for wear/pitting in the bore and then re-rubbered. Flexible hoses checked for perishing and signs of restriction.
- Engine testing/proving out of car
- The complete engine can be bench tested before replacement, proving compression, vibration and oil pressure.
- Clutch replacement and improvement
- Standard coil spring clutch covers need to be carefully checked for wear and strength, friction plates need to be checked for wear and unevenness, often a cause of judder. Improved diaphragm cover plates can be fitted giving a much stronger component that is also less likely to judder.
- Water pump rebuilds
- Completey dismantled and checked for wear. The casting (11cv) can be skimmed and re-engineered where the seal rubs. Components renewed as required such as the shaft/impeller, bearing, bush and seal.
- Welding repairs to body and to structural components
- Sills commonly require replacement, floors, inner sills, boot floors. Also the area under the jambonneau and around the bulkhead commonly requires repair. Major work may require body bracing to stop distortion, bodies are quite commonly distorted from accident damage many years ago, measurements taken between wheel centres may indicate problems if dramatically different side to side. The front cradle on the six is often damaged underneath from careless jacking, the skin can be removed and the internal bracing replaced. This is a good opportunity to have the cradle overhauled, bead blasted and powder coated.
- Valve seat replacement for unleaded, guide replacement or sleeving, guide and seat wear is very commonly found. Heads can be bead blasted and skimmed and the exhaust seats inserted with a hard insert. Valve guides can be replaced or lined with a clever bronze sleeve, valves can be renewed with stainless to complete the 'unleaded' package. If domed pistons are fitted then the head will require careful machining to clear the domes. A useful boost in compression ratio will result.
- new wiring looms
- Can be fitted and fuses can be added to protect your car.
- Conversion to 12v with alternator, bulbs and battery to be changed to 12v.
- Added to protect the wiper motor/clock.
- Fitted to both 11cv and sixes giving a decent output at low speeds. 12V systems are usually better for starting and night driving, and decent stereo systems can be fitted. 6v starters typically work ok on 12v. Original 12v starters are becoming harder to find especially for sixes.
- Dynamo and starter rebuilds
- Can be stripped and examined.
- Windings checked and replaced
- Commutators skimmed, bearings replaced.
- Addition of electrical fuel pumps
- Avoids having to prime the carburettor after a period of non use due to fuel leaking back to the tank. Thorough lagging of the fuel hose in the engine bay will stop fuel vapourisation. Finishing.
- Re - spraying
- Good preparation of the metal is vital to the long term quality of the paint finish. Wing ends need to be repaired properly as do door bottoms to prevent the re-occurrence of rust blisters, good painting of door internals will help as will clear door drain holes and good quality door and window rubber seals.
- Bead blasting
- Strips paint and rust back to bright, clean metal ideal for repainting. Especially good for wheel rims and cradles.
- Powder coating of components
- Useful for suspension components as it is a very tough finish, 2 pack polyester paints also give a very durable finish.
- Chrome plating
- We use a top quality local plater gives top quality results.
- Upholstery and trimming
- We use a top quality local trimmer to give top quality results in carpet, hide etc. Also produces top results with fabric hoods.
Collection and Delivery Service
We are able to transport your vehicle by the use of our car dolly if required.
Prices will be quoted per requirements